This manual has been prepared by our team of experts for those people who want to learn how to enjoy online poker, but do not understand the variations of this extremely popular game. We will tell you about the key differences between poker game types, as well as explain how to pick the best option. In addition, we have prepared instructions for rookies that will help you avoid frequent mistakes and positively start your journey into the fascinating world of online poker. Let’s go.
Professional Poker Game Types – What are They?
Online poker is one of the most demanded gambling entertainment in the world. And this should not be surprising, because unlike scratch cards or roulette, participants of this game have very high chances of success, thanks to their skills. But, you should know an important thing — poker has many varieties. And if some techniques and secrets work in one variant, then it is better to pick a different tactic for the other.
The types of poker can vary in different aspects, and we will tell you as much as possible about them.
Types of the Game at General
Currently, there are three main classifications of poker. Whatever variation of the game you find will definitely belong to one of these categories:
- Community Card Poker. The most important types of poker in this category are Texas Hold’em and Omaha. Players form combinations using community (shared) cards and hidden cards. This gives the game an unpredictable and fascinating character;
- Stud Poker. Good examples of games from this category are Razz and Seven Card Stud. Participants are given a combination of exposed and hidden cards, which allows them to get some idea of which cards the opponents can count on, and build a strategy depending on this;
- Draw Poker. In this category, players are dealt cards that are hidden from rivals. During the game, you need to improve your hands by replacing a pre-agreed number of cards with new ones. Examples of games from this category include such cool titles as Badugi Five and Card Draw.
Most poker variations use limits that determine the rules of betting and raises. Here are the three main types of limits you should be aware of:
- Pot limit. This betting structure is considered a bit more complicated than the following two formats, but with proper practice, you will be able to figure it out. In the pot limit, participants’ bets and raises are limited to the total number of chips in the pot at the moment when the time of action comes;
- No limit. In this format, punters need to bet/raise at least the min amount. The total number of raises during the betting round is unlimited;
- Fixed Limit. As you can understand from the name, fixed amounts for bets and raises are set in advance in this format. In the early stages of the game, they are the same size, and in the later stages, they increase. In each betting round, the number of raises can be no more than three.
You can also pick a game based on the size of the table (this indicates the number of punters who can be at it at the same time). There are three options:
- Heads Up. This format has rapidly taken the industry by storm in recent years and has become extremely popular online. There are only two punters at the same table who play against each other. In land-based casinos, this format is not a success, because it is considered that this is an irrational use of tables, and it is much more profitable to collect as many participants as possible at them;
- Shorthanded. In this format, up to six people can be at the table at most. At the same time, to launch the game, it is not necessary that there are exactly six participants in it, and it is possible to have fewer;
- Full Ring. As you can understand from the name, the entire table is filled in this format. A max of nine or ten people can be behind it, but, as in the case of Shorthanded games, a smaller number of participants are allowed to run.
Mixed Poker Titles
There is another variation — these are mixed games. They combine rules of different formats. Such games have an exorbitant level of fun, but they can be very difficult for rookies. It is not easy to maintain a high level of concentration during the hands if one or more of them are conducted according to one rule, and the rest according to another.
One example of mixed games is H.O.R.S.E. Each of the letters in its name denotes a variation of poker, some of the rules of which were borrowed:
- H = Hold’em (fixed limit)
- O = Omaha Hi-Lo
- R = Razz (7 Card Stud Low)
- S = 7-Card Stud (7 Card Stud High)
- E = 7-Card Stud Hi-Lo (Eight or Better).
This game has fixed limits, so some punters may find it a bit boring. It is not recommended for beginners, because for a successful game you will need to be well versed in five formats, the rules of which were borrowed by its creators.
How to Pick the Best Poker Game?
There is no universal answer to this question that will suit everyone. Each of the punters has their own understanding of the best way to play poker, so we decided to share with you tips on what to pay attention to when choosing:
- Tip 1. Learn the rules of different types of poker games. This will help you understand which option will be more comfortable for you in terms of the complexity of the rules;
- Tip 2. Practice and compare. Having studied the rules of different types of poker, you need to practice them in the free version. This mode is offered by almost all top online resources, so you will have no difficulty in comparing variations of the game;
- Tip 3. Figure out whether it will be easy for you to find free tables. By picking a variant of the game, you should be sure that you will not have difficulties finding tables later. Say, not many poker rooms offer an OFC game;
- Tip 4. Use your strengths. You have to play the type of poker in which you feel as comfortable as possible, and where you are well-versed in the rules.
Tips for Rookies
Millions of people get acquainted with online poker every year. They are delighted with the opportunities to win money and become famous. Of course, fame and big wins are not destined for every punter, but constant training and improvement of skills will increase the chances of success. We would like to share with rookies a few tips that will help you avoid mistakes at the beginning of your journey into the world of poker:
Tip 1. Remember that you are not guaranteed to win. Poker is a very interesting game in which almost 100% of success depends on skills. At the beginning of your career as a punter, you will lose more often than you win. Learn to accept defeat with dignity;
Tip 2. Accept the level of rivals. Until you gain experience, you will deservedly be called a ‘fish’, and more experienced and strong punters (‘sharks’) will hunt you. These are the costs of professional growth, and this fact should simply be accepted;
Tip 3. Control the budget. It is very easy to lose a bankroll in poker, especially if you sit at several tables at the same time. Until you become a professional punter, take care of your money. Pick tables with a small bet size. Let you claim a small gain, but in case of defeat, your losses will be small;
Tip 4. Play only in legal poker rooms. We recommend picking famous sites with an excellent reputation if there are no restrictions on visiting such resources in your location. You can be sure of the ability to pick from a variety of formats, the presence of a large pool of punters and the security of your data and funds;
Tip 5. Start with one table. This is one of the most important tips! Leave multi-tabling for the future. While you don’t have enough experience, practice playing at the same table. Otherwise, you risk losing due to an insufficiently developed concentration;
Tip 6. Learn to keep emotions under control. Top punters have a great command of their emotions. The inability to hide the joy of good cards in your hand and other emotional reactions will have an extremely negative impact on the results of your game;
Tip 7. Use bluff wisely. Bluff is a great opportunity to turn the course of an unsuccessful game in your favor, but this cunning trick should be used wisely. Experienced opponents can ‘read’ other punters, and you also need to learn this.
In the process of your development as a punter, you will learn a lot more useful information, but we recommend that you start using these tips.
In this manual, we have told you about what variations of online poker exist. Now you know by what parameters you need to pick a game, and what aspects to pay attention to if you are a rookie. Remember that poker is a game in which it is quite possible to win money, but do not let the thought of it turn into mania. Practice and enjoy only those variations of poker in which you feel comfortable. Only in this case, you will be able to claim success.
Punters Ask – We Answer
What type of Poker Should I Choose to Play?
It all depends on how high the level of your game is. If you are a professional, then it is better for you to claim to win money in the variations of poker that are familiar to you. For rookies, we can advise you to start with Texas Hold’em. This is the simplest type of game that is easy to learn to play.
What is OFC?
Another name for OFC is Chinese Poker. This is a unique kind of card game that somewhat resembles solitaire. OFC has few similarities with the rules of classic poker formats: this is a 52-card deck and the seniority of combinations. Also, punters who are used to spending time at the tables of famous Texas Hold’em or Omaha titles will be slightly unusual at first since there are fewer participants in OFC: from two to four.
Where to Enjoy Poker Game Types Online?
We recommend playing online poker only on specialized sites. Most often, reliable operators offer to download their poker client, so that you can enjoy the game without using a browser. The software offers a variety of functionality: from conducting payment transactions and activating bonuses to launching the game on several tables at once.
Do I Have to Be a Professional to Play Poker Online?
Not obligatory. Even current professionals were once rookies. But, if you want to hone your skills, improve the quality of the game, and in the future claim to win real money, then you need to be able to wisely pick from poker game types. Knowledge of the rules is one of the key qualities of a successful punter.
How to Classify a Types of Poker Game?
Types of poker differ in different parameters: rules, limits, table sizes and other aspects. The ability to understand the nuances of a particular variation will help you become a successful player.